Friday, June 22, 2012

Is it "I look forward to speak with you" or "I look forward to speaking with you"?


Which one is grammatically correct?
Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
It is definitely the second solution and I’ll tell you why.

After a preposition you use the participle of a verb.

I dream of going on holiday.
I am afraid of sitting on a spider.
I am interested in hearing more about playing the piano.

Now “to” is a very tricky word.

I want to eat an apple.
I look forward to eating an apple.

Simple check, replace the verb with a noun

I want an apple, but I look forward to the holidays
I want something, but I look forward TO something.

In the sentence “I want to eat an apple” to eat is the infinitive
but in “I look forward to  ...” the TO belongs to the phrasal verb.

This simple check should help you.

He used a hammer
He is used to the cold

He used to be afraid of spiders, but
He is used to being made fun of.



No comments:

Post a Comment